Former boxer and veteran trainer Derrick James has won the TSS Trainer of the Year in 2017 primarily for his work with Errol Spence Jr and Jermell Charlo.
Spence Jr won the IBF world welterweight title on the road in impressive fashion this past May when he defeated England’s Kell Brook on the road and he is slated to make his first title defense this coming January 27th when he faces Lamont Peterson at the Barclays Center. Charlo won his world title in May of last year and James has guided the super welterweight stud to two successful title defenses in 2017, including a 2017 “Knock out of the Year” performance against Erickson Lubin to close out the year.
In this latest TBC report we are joined by our “road warrior” analyst Ray Flores to talk about trainer James. Flores, who also works with the Premier Boxing Champions as a broadcaster and ring announcer, has had a bird eye view watching James work over the past several years and he brings his unique insight to the table.
Check out “Looking at the PBC Year Three With Ray Flores” for a year end wrap-ups featuring Ray Flores.
Check out “Derrick James Captures the 2017 TSS Trainer of the Year Award” at The Sweet Science.
Derrick James has the attention of Jermall Charlo.
Experience on James’ resume:
- 35 years of boxing experience; more than 10 years of coaching experience
- Trained 2012 Olympic Games welterweight boxer to quarterfinals
- Currently trains competing boxers
- Two-time WBC Champion Challenger
- Former North American Title Challenger
- Texas Super Middle and Light Weight Champion
- Competed for Olympic trials
- Fourth in World Championship in 1989
- Two-time winner of Texas State Golden Gloves
- Recorded fastest KO in American International Boxing history
- Bronze Medal at the U.S. Olympic Festival
- Trained with Olympic Medalists & World Champions