The Canelo Alvarez – Gennady Golovkin Rematch Has Been Cancelled – Saul “Canelo” Alvarez announced his withdrawal from the May 5 match against Gennady Golovkin at a press conference on Tuesday. The decision comes after Alvarez tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol.
Canelo claimed that the positive test was the result of tainted meat he consumed at his home in Guadalajara. The Nevada State Athletic Commission filed a formal complaint against Canelo last week seeking disciplinary action to be decided at an April 18 hearing in Las Vegas.
The complaint said that under Nevada rules, the athlete is responsible for what enters his system, whether intentional or unintentional.
Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez said: “It’s unlikely this matter will be resolved by April 18 properly and obviously we need enough time to promote a fight of this magnitude,” Alvarez likely wouldn’t have been cleared for the May 5 fight.
The Canelo Alvarez – Gennady Golovkin Rematch Has Been Cancelled / Check out more boxing news and features at The Sweet Science